Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Bert Dodson
Bert Dodson is the author and illustrator of the best-selling learn-to-draw classic Keys to Drawing as well as the illustrator of over 80 children's books including a previous one with Willem Lang. He has also co-written The Way Life Works with noted biologist Mahlon Hoagland. He lives in Bradford, Vermont.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Books By Bert Dodson
In this book, Bert Dodson shares his complete drawing systemfifty-five "keys" that you can use to render any subject with confidence, even if you're a beginner.
These keys, along with dozens of practice exercises, will help you draw like an artist in no time.
You'll learn how to:
• Restore, focus, map, and intensify
• Free your hand action, then learn to control it
• Convey the illusions of light, depth, and texture
• Stimulate your imagination through "creative play"
New in paperback! Creativity occurs in action. It is not a trait; it is something you do. To be creative, you need to engage in the art-making process. When you are "in the flow," you shift out of the future and into the present, making connections, generating variations and surrendering to the process. This ten-year edition of Keys to Drawing With Imagination is a course for artists in how to take something, do something to it and make something new.
Bert Dodson, author of the best-selling Keys to Drawing (more than 250,000 copies sold!) presents fun techniques and mind-stretching strategies to get you drawing better and more imaginatively than you ever have before. In every section, he offers you basic guidelines that help you channel your creative energies in the right direction. Before you know it, you'll lose yourself in the process, enjoying the experience as you create something gratifying and worthwhile.
The subjects covered in this hands-on book are as vast as the imagination itself. Through 58 strategies, 36 exercises and 13 step-by-step demonstrations, you'll explore how to:
• Take your doodling from mindless to masterful
• Create your own reality by crumbling, melting or breaking objects
• Flip the familiar on its ear to create something utterly original
• Experiment with visual paradox and metaphor
• Tell vivid stories through the details in your drawings
• Play with patterns to create captivating compositions
• Build your drawings by borrowing ideas from different cultures
• Develop a theme in your work
Along the way, Dodson offers you priceless advice on the creative process culled from his 70 years of drawing and teaching. For additional inspiration and encouragement, he includes the work of 30 other outstanding artists, including R. Crumb and Maya Lin. So what are you waiting for? Grab this book and start drawing! You'll be amazed at what you can create.
*Note to readers: This book is a 10-year anniversary paperback reprint of the Keys to Drawing with Imagination hardcover edition (2006).