Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good: A Memoir of Food and Love from an American Midwest Family Audible Audiobook – Unabridged
A delicious memoir from the author of The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry
In this family history interwoven with recipes, Kathleen Flinn returns listeners to the mix of food and memoir beloved by fanss of her best-selling The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry. Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good explores the very beginnings of her love affair with food and its connection to home. It is the story of her Midwestern childhood, its memorable home cooks, and the delicious recipes she grew up with. Flinn shares tales of her parents' pizza parlor in San Francisco, where they sold Uncle Clarence's popular oven-fried chicken, as well as recipes for the chili made by former army cook Grandpa Charles, fluffy Swedish pancakesfrom Grandma Inez, and cinnamon rolls for birthday breakfasts. Through these dishes, Flinn came to understand how meals can be memories and how cooking canbe a form of communication.
Brimming with warmth and wit, this book is sure to appeal to Flinn's many fans, as well as fans of Marcus Samuelsson, Ruth Reichl, and Julie Powell.
- 1 credit a month good for any title of your choice, yours to keep.
- The Plus Catalogue—listen all you want to thousands of Audible Originals, podcasts, and audiobooks.
- Access to exclusive member-only sales, as well as 30% off your purchases of any additional titles.
- No commitment—cancel anytime.
- After 30 days, Audible is $14.95/month + applicable taxes. Renews automatically.
Top reviews from other countries
Even if you're not interested in the recipes -- although I must confess I bookmarked a few -- this story of a family making its way around the United States, little kids in tow, is a delight.