Cultivating Genius: An Equity Framework for Culturally and Historically Responsive Literacy Audible Audiobook – Unabridged
In Cultivating Genius, Dr. Gholdy E. Muhammad presents a four-layered equity framework—one that is grounded in history and restores excellence in literacy education. This framework, which she names "Historically Responsive Literacy", was derived from the study of literacy development within 19th-century Black literacy societies. The framework is essential and universal for all students, especially youth of color, who traditionally have been marginalized in learning standards, school policies, and classroom practices. The equity framework will help educators teach and lead toward the following learning goals or pursuits:
- Identity development—helping youth to make sense of themselves and others
- Skill development—developing proficiencies across the academic disciplines
- Intellectual development—gaining knowledge and becoming smarter
- Criticality—learning and developing the ability to read texts (including print and social contexts) to understand power, equity, and anti-oppression
When these four learning pursuits are taught together through the Historically Responsive Literacy framework, all students receive profound opportunities for personal, intellectual, and academic success. Muhammad provides probing, self-reflective questions for teachers, leaders, and teacher educators as well as sample culturally and historically responsive sample plans and text sets across grades and content areas.
In this audiobook, Muhammad presents practical approaches to cultivate the genius in students and within teachers. This brand-new audio edition of Cultivating Genius is skillfully read by multiple award-winning narrator Adenrele Ojo.
PLEASE NOTE: When you purchase this title, the accompanying PDF will be available in your Audible Library along with the audio.
- 1 credit a month good for any title of your choice, yours to keep.
- The Plus Catalogue—listen all you want to thousands of Audible Originals, podcasts, and audiobooks.
- Access to exclusive member-only sales, as well as 30% off your purchases of any additional titles.
- After 30 days Audible is $14.95/month + applicable taxes. Renews automatically.
People who bought this also bought
Related to this topic
|Listening Length||5 hours and 53 minutes|
|Audible.ca Release Date||April 28 2022|
|Publisher||Echo Point Books and Media, LLC|
|Best Sellers Rank|| #10,857 in Audible Books & Originals (See Top 100 in Audible Books & Originals) |
#90 in Education (Audible Books & Originals)
Top reviews from other countries
Reading your book affirmed my belief that EVERY teacher is a literacy teacher regardless of the subject matter they teach and has given me the language to articulate the need for HRL and the courage to implement the framework because it's what my students need. This book will transform the way that we prepare preservice teachers, evaluate teacher performance, and rethink our pedagogical approaches to account for the cultural identities of BIPOC students.
Every school district should get their teachers a copy of this book!
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on December 20, 2020