Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet or computer – no Kindle device required. Learn more
Read instantly on your browser with Kindle for Web.
Using your mobile phone camera, scan the code below and download the Kindle app.
Follow the Author
Data Science For Dummies Paperback – March 9 2015
Discover how data science can help you gain in-depth insight into your business – the easy way!
Jobs in data science abound, but few people have the data science skills needed to fill these increasingly important roles. Data Science For Dummies is the perfect starting point for IT professionals and students who want a quick primer covering all areas of the expansive data science space. With a focus on business cases, the book explores topics in big data, data science, and data engineering, and how these three areas are combined to produce tremendous value. If you want to pick-up the skills you need to begin a new career or initiate a new project, reading this book will help you understand what technologies, programming languages, and mathematical methods on which to focus. While this book serves as a wildly fantastic guide through the broad aspects of the topic, including the sometimes intimidating field of big data and data science, it is not an instructional manual for hands-on implementation. Here’s what to expect in Data Science for Dummies:
- Provides a background in big data and data engineering before moving on to data science and how it’s applied to generate value.
- Includes coverage of big data frameworks and applications like Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, MPP platforms, and NoSQL.
- Explains machine learning and many of its algorithms, as well as artificial intelligence and the evolution of the Internet of Things.
- Details data visualization techniques that can be used to showcase, summarize, and communicate the data insights you generate.
It’s a big, big data world out there – let Data Science For Dummies help you get started harnessing its power so you can gain a competitive edge for your organization.
From the Back Cover
- Deduce, discover, and communicate valuable insights from structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data sources
- Use meaningful visualizations to display and interpret data
- Take advantage of data processing tools like Hadoop® and MapReduce
- Turn your organization's data into a competitive advantage
Gain in-depth insight into your business with data sciencethis book makes it easy!
Big data is a big deal. This book helps you harness its power and give your business that all-important competitive edge. You'll learn to manage large amounts of data within hardware and software limitations, merge data sources, ensure consistent reporting, and interpret the data to tell your business story in a way that's easily understood.
- Get a grip on data science understand what it is, who uses it, and what it can do
- How big is it see how big data is defined and how to handle it with MapReduce, Hadoop, and alternative solutions
- It's probable explore probability and statistics in interpreting your data
- Model ideas learn about mathematical modeling, fuzzy multi-criteria programming, and modeling spatial data with statistics
- Make it visual examine different types of data visualization techniques and learn to choose the style that's right for your purpose and your audience
- Ideal technology learn where Python®, Open Source R, SQL, or even Excel® may be the tool you need
- The sky's the limit see how data science can help solve environmental issues, drive e-commerce, and even predict criminal activity
Open the book and find:
- The basics of data science
- Ways to define big data
- How business benefits from data science
- Information about regression and clustering techniques
- Various visualization options
- Tips for designing great dashboards
- How data science is used in journalism
- Ten free data science tools and applications
About the Author
Lillian Pierson, P.E. is an entrepreneurial data scientist and professional environmental engineer. She's the founder of Data-Mania, a start-up that focuses mainly on web analytics, data-driven growth services, data journalism, and data science training services. She also covers the topics of data science, analytics, and statistics for prominent organizations like IBM and UBM.
- Publisher : For Dummies (March 9 2015)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 408 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1118841557
- ISBN-13 : 978-1118841556
- Item weight : 1 g
- Dimensions : 18.8 x 1.98 x 23.62 cm
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Top reviews from Canada
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
English continues to spawn new words and fields of study, the dummies series and this title does not disappoint once again in providing a readable description of what is an emerging field.