Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About David Kadavy
David Kadavy is a bestselling author whose books help people be productive when creativity matters. He was design advisor for behavioral scientist Dan Ariely’s productivity app, Timeful, where David’s “mind management” principles were applied to features now used by millions – in Google Calendar. He lives in Medellín, Colombia. Follow him on Twitter or Instagram at @kadavy.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Books By David Kadavy
Are you an academic, author, or blogger or anyone else who wants to make writing a breeze?
The Zettelkasten method is the perfect way to harness the power of technology to remember what you read and boost creativity. Invented in the 16th century, and practiced to its fullest extent by a German sociologist who wrote seventy books and hundreds of articles, the Zettelkasten method is exploding in popularity. Writers of all types are discovering that digital tools make the method more powerful than ever, turning your digital life into an “external brain,” or “bicycle for the mind.”
In Digital Zettelkasten: Principles, Methods, & Examples, blogger and nonfiction author David Kadavy shares a first-principles approach on how to adapt the Zettelkasten method to simple digital tools of your choice.
- How to structure your Zettelkasten? Kadavy borrows an element of the Getting Things Done framework to make sure nothing you want to read falls through the cracks.
- Naming convention pros/cons. Should you adopt the classic “Folgezettel” technique, or do digital tools make it irrelevant for your workflow?
- Reading workflow. The exact steps to follow to turn what you read into detailed notes you can mix and match to produce writing.
- Staying comfortable. Build a workflow to maintain your Zettelkasten without being chained to your computer.
- Examples, examples, examples. See real examples of notes that illustrate concepts, so you can build a Zettelkasten that fits your workflow and tools.
Digital Zettelkasten: Principles, Methods, & Examples is short, to the point, with no fluff, so it won’t keep you from what you want – to build your Zettelkasten!
MORE THAN 20,000 COPIES SOLD
“An exhilarating but highly structured approach to the creative use of time. Kadavy’s approach is likely to spark a new evaluation of conventional time management.”
You have the TIME. Do you have the ENERGY?
You’ve done everything you can to save time. Every productivity tip, every “life hack,” every time management technique.
But the more time you save, the less time you have. The more overwhelmed, stressed, exhausted you feel.
“Time management” is squeezing blood from a stone.
Introducing a new approach to productivity. Instead of struggling to get more out of your time, start effortlessly getting more out of your mind.
In Mind Management, Not Time Management, best-selling author David Kadavy shares the fruits of his decade-long deep dive into how to truly be productive in a constantly changing world.
- Quit your daily routine. Use the hidden patterns all around you as launchpads to skyrocket your productivity.
- Do in only five minutes what used to take all day. Let your “passive genius” do your best thinking when you’re not even thinking.
- “Writer’s block” is a myth. Learn a timeless lesson from the 19th century’s most underrated scientist.
- Wield all of the power of technology, with none of the distractions. An obscure but inexpensive gadget may be the shortcut to your superpowers.
- Keep going, even when chaos strikes. Tap into the unexpected to find your next Big Idea.
Mind Management, Not Time Management isn’t your typical productivity book. It’s a gripping page-turner chronicling Kadavy’s global search for the keys to unlock the future of productivity.
You’ll learn faster, make better decisions, and turn your best ideas into reality. Buy it and start reading today.
OVER 25,000 COPIES SOLD
It’s a terrible feeling.
To know you have a gift for the world.
But to be utterly paralyzed every time you try to discover what that gift is.
Stop procrastinating and start creating!
In The Heart to Start, blogger, podcaster, and award-winning designer David Kadavy takes you on his journey from Nebraska-based cubicle dweller to jet-setting bestselling author, showing you how to stop procrastinating, and start creating.
The original and battle-tested tactics in The Heart to Start eliminate fear in your present self, so you can finally become your future self:
- Tap into the innate power of curiosity. Find the fuel to propel you through resistance.
- Catch yourself “Inflating The Investment.” Prevent self-destructive time sucks and find the time to follow your art, even if you feel like you have no time at all.
- Bust through “The Linear Work Distortion.” Inspire action that harnesses your natural creative style.
- Supercharge your progress with “Motivational Judo.” Lay perfectionism on its back while propelling your projects forward.
Inspiring stories weave these techniques into your memory. From Maya Angelou to Seth Godin. From J. K. Rowling to Steven Pressfield. You'll hear from a Hollywood screenwriter, a chef, and even a creator of a hit board game.
Whether you’re writing a novel, starting a business, or picking up a paintbrush for the first time in years, The Heart to Start will upgrade your mental operating system with unforgettable tactics for ending procrastination before it starts, so you can make your creative dreams a reality.
Take your first step and click the buy button. Download The Heart to Start, and unlock your inner creative genius today!
Best-selling non-fiction author David Kadavy shares his simple process for writing a book. Build confidence, ditch your inner critic, and finally write your book with simple habits you can start today.
You can read this short read (~7,000 words) in about 30 minutes, so it won't get in the way of the one thing standing between you and your book: Action!
Download today and make the book you've dreamed of a reality.
Now includes a free sample chapter of David Kadavy's latest book, The Heart to Start.
And I’d never be able to do as much writing as I do if it wasn’t for passive income.
I’m David Kadavy, and I’ve been an independent creator for more than a decade. Along the way, I’ve built passive income streams in my online business. I make this passive money not so I can make money, but so I can write.
In this short guide (~4,000 words), I share ten different ways that I actually earned passive income. I hope these ideas help you do more of what you want to be doing.
Buy it today, and get your passive income gears turning!
The term 'hacker' has been redefined to consist of anyone who has an insatiable curiosity as to how things work—and how they can try to make them better. This book is aimed at hackers of all skill levels and explains the classical principles and techniques behind beautiful designs by deconstructing those designs in order to understand what makes them so remarkable. Author and designer David Kadavy provides you with the framework for understanding good design and places a special emphasis on interactive mediums. You'll explore color theory, the role of proportion and geometry in design, and the relationship between medium and form. Packed with unique reverse engineering design examples, this book inspires and encourages you to discover and create new beauty in a variety of formats.
- Breaks down and studies the classical principles and techniques behind the creation of beautiful design
- Illustrates cultural and contextual considerations in communicating to a specific audience
- Discusses why design is important, the purpose of design, the various constraints of design, and how today's fonts are designed with the screen in mind
- Dissects the elements of color, size, scale, proportion, medium, and form
- Features a unique range of examples, including the graffiti in the ancient city of Pompeii, the lack of the color black in Monet's art, the style and sleekness of the iPhone, and more
By the end of this book, you'll be able to apply the featured design principles to your own web designs, mobile apps, or other digital work.
In 2009, director James Cameron set the typography world on fire, by using the Papyrus font for the logo of his movie, Avatar.
Type snobs the world over were outraged. Even Ryan Gosling spoke out about the issue, through a hilarious (and horrifying) SNL skit.
Why would a movie with a $280 million budget not only use a font that ships free on nearly every computer on the planet – but that also happens to be the world's second-most-hated font?
For a decade, nobody could make sense of it. Until now.
In In Defense of Papyrus, former type snob and design commentator David Kadavy (author of Design for Hackers) finally formulates a coherent explanation of why the Papyrus font was used in the international blockbuster, Avatar.
For the first time ever, Kadavy breaks down why type snobs hate Papyrus. You'll be shocked to learn about Papyrus's deceptively solid fundamentals. You'll be dismayed to find out Papyrus's one, giant, shortcoming. Your sense of reality will be shattered as you discover how that one shortcoming is exactly what makes James Cameron's choice of Papyrus one of the most brilliant font choices of the century.
Download now, and read this short read on the comfort of your favorite e-reader. That is, if civilization doesn't collapse first.
After I had a successful traditionally-published book, I decided to try self publishing. When you self publish, you make more money, right?
Here’s what I earned:
* Copies Sold: 11,000
* Royalties: $19,000
* Profit: $3,000
How did I sell that many books? What marketing tactics worked, and which were a waste of time? Most importantly, what happened to $16,000 of the royalties I earned?
Whether you’re thinking of trying self publishing, or you’re trying to gain traction, this detailed report gives you an under-the-hood look at what seems to be a self-publishing failure…that may actually be a success.
David Kadavy, autor de varios best-sellers de no ficción, comparte en esta obra su sencillo proceso de escritura. Aumenta tu confianza, silencia la voz crítica de tu interior y comienza a escribir el libro que imaginaste poniendo hoy mismo en práctica unas sencillas pautas.
Tardarás aproximadamente unos 30 minutos en leer este breve texto (de unas 7.000 palabras), así que no es ningún impedimento para abordar lo único que se interpone entre tú y tu libro: ¡Acción!
Descarga este texto hoy mismo y consigue que tu libro soñado sea una realidad.
The blockchain is revolutionizing how writers get paid. This short guide will help you become a part of it.
What a time to be a writer! It's hard to get paid, and it's hard to do work with integrity.
Want to write a book? Advances from publishers are getting smaller and more scarce. Fewer people are reading books. If you self-publish, you may go months or years without a payday – if you turn a profit at all, after paying your editors and designers.
Working as a freelance writer? Get ready to write about topics that don't interest you. Get ready to chase down clients to pay invoices. Get ready to have an editor write a misleading and cheesy headline for your piece. When your friends read your article, they'll be presented with an ad: "One weird trick to eliminate belly fat." Humiliating.
Or maybe you've decided you'll build up an audience on your blog and sell online courses. But, wait a minute: You want to be a writer, not a course-builder!
Enter Steemit. Steemit is completely changing the way writers get paid for their writing:
- You don't have to wait months or years to publish, like when writing a book. You can publish today.
- You don't have to write about topics that don't interest you. You can write about whatever you want.
- You don't have to chase down clients to pay invoices. Your earnings go right into your "wallet" in just a week.
- Your writing won't have to compete with annoying ads, or be a scheme for selling an online course. Your writing isn't just marketing fodder for some other thing.
What a time to be a writer! The blockchain is fundamentally changing how writers get paid, and Steemit is the dawn of that new age.
In this short guide (~5,000 words), you'll learn:
- Where does the money come from? Steemit readers don't pay for your writing, yet you earn money. Is it magic? Is it a scam? You'll learn where the money comes from.
- Steemit is "decentralized." What does that mean? This concept is the basis of what makes Steemit revolutionary. You'll learn why.
- What are the various types of STEEM tokens? Steemit can be intimidating and confusing at first. You'll learn in simple language what each of the various STEEM tokens does, and why they matter.
- How do you increase your earnings by choosing the right tags and managing your STEEM wisely? Get your posts seen by more people, and earn more for every upvote your posts get.
- How do you turn the STEEM you earn into spendable cash? Learn step-by-step how to convert your STEEM into Bitcoin, Ethereum, U.S. Dollars, or the currency of your choice.
What a time to be a writer!
You could fumble your way through confusing FAQs and tutorials, or simply buy this guide and get started right away. This short guide only takes about 30 minutes to read, so it won't stand in the way of your first step toward making money writing on Steemit.
Buy it today, and become a part of the blockchain revolution.
(This book also comes with a sample chapter of David Kadavy's latest best-seller, The Heart to Start.)