Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Kimberly Scanlon
Kimberly is a New Jersey-licensed speech pathologist and is nationally certified by the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA). She is also the Top Selling author of "My Toddler Talks", the critically acclaimed interactive picture book, "Learning to Read is a Ball", and her latest book, "My Toddler's First Words". Kimberly is a creative thinker and a passionate therapist who believes that children should have fun in therapy. Kimberly has had the opportunity to hone her skills by working in various settings serving all ages, populations, and disorders. She is a four time recipient of ASHA's award for continuing education (ACE). She graduated from Rutgers University with a Bachelor of Science and earned her Master of Arts in Communication Disorders from Montclair State University.
In addition to writing books and blog posts, Kimberly is busy running her private practice, Scanlon Speech Therapy. Kimberly lives in New Jersey with her husband and two children.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Books By Kimberly Scanlon
My Toddler Talks, by Kimberly Scanlon, is a must-have for anyone interested in developing language in young children.
Learn how to model and elicit language in a fun, straightforward and practical manner from an experienced & licensed speech language pathologist. Textbook theory and evidenced-based speech therapy techniques are applied in an enjoyable and user-friendly way. Whether you’re a parent or a professional, Kimberly shows you how to engage your toddler with play routines that stimulate speech while having fun.
The guide includes detailed steps, numerous examples, and play routine activities to facilitate learning and language development. Speech language pathologists and parents describe My Toddler Talks as: “a go to resource”, “unintimidating and user-friendly” and “simply fabulous!”
MY TODDLER TALKS includes:
• Effective language stimulation tips, techniques and strategies used by professional speech therapists
• Advice on how to maximize your child’s potential without causing pressure or frustration
• 25 fun play routines designed to improve your child’s speech and language skills
• Straightforward instructions with many examples to foster understanding and empowerment
• Step by step directions on how to elicit communication from your child
• Charts to monitor progress with your child
• A system to track your child’s word growth
• Ways to incorporate speech development activities into your daily routines
• Recommended goals to drive results
• Ideas for troubleshooting development setbacks
MY TODDLER TALKS is the perfect resource for:
• Parents, Grandparents & Caregivers
• Speech Therapists
• Speech Therapy Grad Students
• Early Intervention Specialists
• Early Childhood Educators
• Occupational & Physical Therapists
Is your toddler struggling to say his or her first words? Do you encourage your toddler to talk but are met with silence? Are you interested in helping your toddler express him or herself but are unsure how to do it or where to begin?
Practicing speech language pathologist and bestselling author, Kimberly Scanlon, has applied her advanced expertise in speech therapy for toddlers to create the ultimate, easy-to-understand, resource to assist parents in developing an action plan to effectively model, elicit, track, and expand a toddler’s language. My Toddler’s First Words: A Step-By-Step Guide to Jump-Start, Track, and Expand Your Toddler’s Language is a comprehensive yet approachable guide to holistically assist your toddler on his or her language journey.
This is the long-awaited sequel to Kimberly’s best-selling book, My Toddler Talks: Strategies and Activities to Promote Your Toddler’s Language Development. If you have read My Toddler Talks and are looking for more information, more techniques, and a step-by-step approach that goes beyond play routines, then My Toddler’s First Words is for you!
What’s This Book About?
My Toddler’s First Words: How to Jump-Start, Track, and Expand Your Toddler’s Language was written to help readers learn fundamental concepts to jump-start a toddler’s ability to communicate and talk. With expert guidance and specific instructions and numerous examples, you will learn how to appropriately stimulate and catapult your toddler’s communication.
In My Toddler's First Words, you’ll discover:
- Answers to pressing questions like, “Why does our toddler pull us to or hand us things she wants without trying to say the word? How many words should my toddler say? Should I pressure him to say a word?
- Fundamentals of toddler language development to assist you in understanding why toddlers typically do particular things and say certain words before other actions or words
- A systematic approach to choosing appropriate target words that may be missing from your child’s vocabulary
- Proven speech therapy techniques and numerous real-world examples to encourage language expansion
- An interactive 30-Day Workbook to inspire you to establish a regular practice to reflect on your efforts in stimulating your toddler’s language
From the Author:
Perhaps you’re a parent and have a toddler who is not yet speaking and this concerns you. I wrote this book to help you help your child find his voice. But not only that, I want you to simultaneously enjoy the language building process and not feel overwhelmed with worries. As parents, we have enough to fret about. I want your little one to find joy in communicating with you and I want you to feel empowered knowing that you’re learning and doing something to make a difference. As they say, knowledge is power.
Fellow speech-language pathologists (SLPs) and other professionals who are coaching parents in clinics or through state-run early-intervention programs have also found My Toddler’s First Words to be extremely useful. They greatly appreciated the cited research to support their own efforts and recommendations.
Do you want to prepare your child to be a lifelong, successful, and passionate reader?
Then jump start your child's language development and pre reading skills while having a ball!
This is not just another book for beginning readers. Kimberly Scanlon, licensed speech therapist and top selling author of My Toddler Talks has created an innovative resource full of simple-to-understand reading strategies to assist in building your child's language and early literacy skills. Learning to Read is a Ball is a unique and versatile book that can be used with any early readers, including: toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergartners. It is a must-have for anyone interested in developing reading skills and emergent literacy in young children.
Your child will almost certainly learn to read faster if you apply these techniques.
Learning to Read is a Ball combines a rhyming 28-page picture book about balls with a 17 Page Parent Guide that includes:
- Specific techniques to develop oral language using different reading styles
- Strategies to use synonyms and antonyms to build vocabulary
- Various approaches to encourage storytelling
- Dynamic tips to play with rhymes and alliteration to build the understanding that words are made up of different sounds
- Thoughtful tactics to highlight letters and words to stimulate print awareness
Develop these foundational skills in your child, and you'll take pride knowing you helped prepare your little one for formal instruction going into preschool or kindergarten.
Learning to Read is a Ball is the perfect resource for:
- Parents, Grandparents & Caregivers
- Speech Therapists
- Speech Therapy Grad Students
- Early Intervention Specialists
- Early Childhood Educators
- Occupational & Physical Therapists
Please visit Scanlon Speech Therapy's website and sign up for Kimberly's newsletter to access free worksheets, complimentary bonus content and additional tips on how to get the most from Learning to Read is a Ball -search the internet for Scanlon Speech Therapy!
"This illustrated, rhyming book for beginning readers helps preschoolers develop language skills... parents of children with language delays or anyone interested in language development will find this guide thorough and useful. An amusing, educational book for kids and a helpful resource for parents."
"We have purchased a ton of different "learning to read" books for our son - BOB books, Capstone, etc. This is the first one that actually provides some really good and practical guidance for parents. What's even better is the actual story itself. My son loves the workbook style that he can not only now read the material, but interact with it too. If your child is around 4 or 5 and is showing an interest in reading, this is a great book to work on it together.