Download the free Kindle app and start reading Kindle books instantly on your smartphone, tablet, or computer – no Kindle device required. Learn more
Read instantly on your browser with Kindle Cloud Reader.
Using your mobile phone camera, scan the code below and download the Kindle app.
Enter your mobile phone or email address
By pressing "Send link", you agree to Amazon's Conditions of Use.
You consent to receive an automated text message from or on behalf of Amazon about the Kindle App at your mobile number above. Consent is not a condition of any purchase. Message and data rates may apply.
Skipper Stories: True Tales from Disneyland's Jungle Cruise Paperback – Nov. 25 2016
Enhance your purchase
Real Skippers of Disneyland
In this unique oral history of Disneyland's iconic attraction, the World Famous Jungle Cruise, dozens of skippers, from the 1950s to the present, share harrowing, humorous, sometimes even horrific tales of their pun-fraught voyages and their behind-the-scenes hellraising.
The Jungle Cruise is that most unusual of Disney attractions where the ride itself is secondary to the cast member. Once the boat leaves the dock, Disney no longer controls the experience; your skipper does.
Former skipper and now history professor David John Marley presents the uncensored stories of six decades of Jungle Cruise skippers. Their never-before-spieled tales include:
- Skipper selection, skipper training, how the ride works, and no-holds-barred confessions of what life is like in the jungle
- Celebrity guests: the good, the bad, and the entitled, and one very public embarrassment, skipper style
- The rite of passage for new Jungle Cruise skippers: peeing in the river
- Drunken orgies, stand-up comedy, and a heist that led to one skipper's permanent expulsion from Disneyland
- Pranks and more pranks, from the comic to the cruel, with dickish skippers and unruly guests learning the law of the jungle
Welcome to the Jungle...
Frequently bought together
- Publisher : Theme Park Press (Nov. 25 2016)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 252 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1683900308
- ISBN-13 : 978-1683900306
- Item weight : 376 g
- Dimensions : 15.24 x 1.45 x 22.86 cm
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Top reviews from Canada
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
(sorry for my poor english skill)
Top reviews from other countries
Well written and collated.
The lack of coherent formatting (at the beginning of each chapter, there's no delineation between when the author's introduction ends and where the "story" submitted by a skipper begins) and quite a few misspellings make for not as fun of a read as I was expecting.
Full disclosure: I'm a former Disneyland cast member, but not a former skipper. However, my memories of working at the park may color my perception of this book. I have a lot of fun stories from my time there, but telling those stories is one thing -- I can't really see them translating into book form. Also, this review is for the ebook version. I cannot speak to the formatting/editing of the paperback version.