Follow the Author
The Sunken Ship: An Acorn Book (Mermaid Days 1) (Mermaid Days) Paperback – May 3 2022
Enhance your purchase
Pick a book. Grow a Reader!
This series is part of Scholastic's early reader line, Acorn, aimed at children who are learning to read. With easy-to-read text, a short-story format, plenty of humor, and full-color artwork on every page, these books will boost reading confidence and fluency. Acorn books plant a love of reading and help readers grow!
Swim along with mermaid Vera and octo-kid Beaker! In these three stories, Vera and Beaker go on adventures in their town of Tidal Grove. They explore a sunken ship, and Vera helps Beaker with an unusual octopus problem. With text from Stonewall award-winning author Kyle Lukoff, and bright, colorful artwork from artist Kat Uno, Mermaid Days is sure to be every young reader’s favorite new series. Balancing easy-to-read-text, endless humor and charm, light nonfiction, and a loveable cast of underwater creatures, these laugh-out-loud stories are the perfect fit for new readers!
From the Publisher
Plant a Love of Reading with Acorn Early Readers!
The Acorn early reader line is aimed at children who are learning to read. With easy-to-read text, a short story format, and full-color artwork on every page, Acorn books boost reading confidence and fluency. Acorn books plant a love of reading and help readers grow!
Praise for Too Bright to See, by Kyle Lukoff:
* “This coming-of-age and coming-out story takes a needed departure from other stories about transgender youth… Haunting and healing.” – Kirkus, starred review
* "Smart and thought-provoking.... Lukoff provides a tender rumination on grief, love, and identity." – Publishers Weekly, starred review
* “Equal parts unsettling, heartwarming, and satisfying…a nuanced and compelling exploration of gender, friendship, and family.” – Booklist, starred review
* "A hopeful examination of grief and gender, and a good ghost story to boot." – School Library Journal, starred review
Praise for When Aidan Became a Brother, by Kyle Lukoff:
Best Books of 2019, Kirkus Reviews
Best Books of 2019, School Library Journal
Editors' Choices for Books for Youth, Booklist
Best of the Best Books of 2019, Chicago Public Library
* "Joyful and affirming, Aidan's story is the first of its kind among books for welcoming a new baby." -- Starred review, Kirkus Reviews
* "The creators' exploration of one transgender child's experience emphasizes the importance of learning "how to love someone for exactly who they are." --Starred review, Publishers Weekly
* "A heartfelt celebration of love." -- Starred review, Booklist
About the Author
KYLE LUKOFF is a National Book Award finalist and the Newbery and Stonewall Award-winning author of multiple books for young readers, including When Aidan Became a Brother, Call Me Max, and Too Bright to See. Kyle spent eight years as an elementary school librarian, but now he writes full time, assists in sensitivity readings and consultations, and presents on children’s and youth literature all across the country. He got hired at a bookstore when he was sixteen, which means he’s been working at the intersection of books and people for well over half his life. He lives in Philadelphia. Visit him online at kylelukoff.com.
Kat Uno was born and raised in Hawaii, on the island of Maui. She was influenced at an early age by comics, Saturday morning cartoons, and Japanese manga. She attended the University of Hawaii and received a Bachelor of Arts. Kat loves creating artwork that is cute and fun. She is the mother of two wonderful little kids who are a constant source of inspiration. Visit her online at katuno.com
- Publisher : Scholastic Inc. (May 3 2022)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 64 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1338794590
- ISBN-13 : 978-1338794595
- Item weight : 88 g
- Dimensions : 13.97 x 0.13 x 17.78 cm
- Best Sellers Rank: #28,851 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews: