Compare Offers on Amazon
War of the Worlds / La Guerre des mondes (Bilingual) (Widescreen) (2005)
Enhance your purchase
Frequently bought together
- Aspect Ratio : 1.85:1
- Is Discontinued By Manufacturer : No
- Language : English
- Product Dimensions : 19.05 x 13.97 x 1.27 cm; 113.4 Grams
- Item model number : 2246543
- Director : Steven Spielberg
- Media Format : AC-3, Closed-captioned, Color, Dolby, DTS Surround Sound, Dubbed, DVD-Video, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC
- Run time : 1 hour and 56 minutes
- Release date : Jan. 12 2016
- Actors : Tom Cruise, Roz Abrams, Dakota Fanning, Miranda Otto, Justin Chatwin
- Dubbed: : French
- Subtitles: : English, Spanish, French
- Language : Unqualified (DTS ES 6.1), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo), English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (DTS ES), French (Dolby Digital 5.1), Unknown (Dolby Digital 5.1)
- Studio : DreamWorks
- Producers : Bob Hope, Kathleen Kennedy, Colin Wilson, Daniel Dare
- ASIN : B00005JNTI
- Country of origin : Canada
- Number of discs : 1
- Best Sellers Rank: #5,259 in Movies & TV Shows (See Top 100 in Movies & TV Shows)
- Customer Reviews:
An earth-shattering adventure that both "rivets and amazes" (Michael Wilmington, Chicago Tribune), War of the Worlds reunites superstar Tom Cruise and Academy Award-winning director Steven Spielberg for one of the most awe-inspiring cinematic experiences of all time!
A contemporary retelling of H.G. Wells classic, the sci-fi thriller reveals the extraordinary battle for the future of humankind through the eyes of one American family. Fleeing from an extraterrestrial army of killer Tripods that annihilate everything in their path, Ray Ferrier (Cruise) races to keep his family safe. War of the Worlds is an action packed adventure that explodes with spectacular special effects!
Top reviews from Canada
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
A straight, wholly unaltered version of the book would screen very well but no-one seems to be willing to try. This version is quite frightening and is full of surprises. It lacks, as all film versions do, the elimination of religion as a cure(see the original tale). There is also a BBC version that has recently been screened, also scary, but unconvincing.
Top reviews from other countries
I wont be sending it back as it is my own fault that I purchased it(I read a number of negative reviews but was curious). Plus this is the very first time EVER that I,ve been dissapointed with the quality of blu ray. I was even able to put both versions side by side on two seperate screens and I promise you that the dvd quality far outshines the blu ray. No grainy picture quality anywhere on the dvd copy.
Of course people will always draw their own conclusions and people,s perceptions are as varied and different as the universe is endless. But for what its worth it is a dreadful transfer to blu ray. I plan to upgrade to blu ray on Lord Of The Rings, Hobbit, Harry Potter, King Kong 2005, Volcano, Independance Day, etc, but will be far more cautious. The Back To The Future trilogy on blu ray is a prime example of how it should be done and can be done. Now that kind of quality on War Of The Worlds would have been amazing!!:)
Acting by Dakota Fanning was extraordinarily good.
Directing was extraordinarily odd.
More like trying to make the characters more creepy and sureal than the aliens.
A few nods to the original film and narration taken from H G Well's book. Music by John Williams is atmospheric with references to the alien communications of Close Encounter - though sadly no big themes. In fact no melodic themes at all.
Editing good, production and sets very good, but something missing with the interpretation and updated storyline.
I still prefer the original movie.