Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Betsy Maestro
Betsy Maestro is the author of the "American Story" series, illustrated by her husband, Giulio. She has also written several other non-fiction picture books, including the Let's-Read-And-Find-Out science books How Do Apples Grow? and Why Do Leaves Change Color?
The Maestros live in Old Lyme, Connecticut.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Read and find out about the magical process of how leaves change their color in this colorfully illustrated nonfiction picture book.
This book includes simple, fun diagrams that help introduce concepts like photosynthesis and the different types of leaves. This book also includes a list of the best spots to view leaves changing color as well as simple activities to do with leaves, like leaf rubbings and leaf pressings.
Questions addressed in this book include:
- How do leaves feed trees?
- What kind of weather brings out the best colors?
- Why is winter a time of rest for trees?
Read and find out in the proven winner Why Do Leaves Change Color?
This is a Level 2 Let's-Read-and-Find-Out, which means the book explores more challenging concepts for children in the primary grades. The 100+ titles in this leading nonfiction series are:
- hands-on and visual
- acclaimed and trusted
- great for classrooms
Top 10 reasons to love LRFOs:
- Entertain and educate at the same time
- Have appealing, child-centered topics
- Developmentally appropriate for emerging readers
- Focused; answering questions instead of using survey approach
- Employ engaging picture book quality illustrations
- Use simple charts and graphics to improve visual literacy skills
- Feature hands-on activities to engage young scientists
- Meet national science education standards
- Written/illustrated by award-winning authors/illustrators & vetted by an expert in the field
- Over 130 titles in print, meeting a wide range of kids' scientific interests
Books in this series support the Common Core Learning Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, and the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) standards. Let's-Read-and-Find-Out is the winner of the American Association for the Advancement of Science/Subaru Science Books & Films Prize for Outstanding Science Series.
The American Story continues . . .
After many years of struggle and sacrifice, the American colonists had finally earned their freedom. It was now time to establish unity among the thirteen states and forge a new nation.
Our founding fathers wrote a Constitution and a Bill of Rights to set up a democracy, a government that would put the people first.
The country grew and flourished. With the purchase of the Louisiana Territory, the United States doubled in size. Lewis and Clark were sent to explore the west, and five more states joined the Union. But rising tensions with the British would create more challenges to overcome.
In this installment of the acclaimed American Story series, history lovers Betsy and Giulio Maestro tell the true story of the first thirty-two years of the United States, from the Treaty of Paris to the War of 1812.