Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Barbara Mitchell
Barbara Mitchell is an author, speaker, and the Managing Partner of The Mitchell Group, a Human Resources and organizational development consulting practice. Prior to starting her own business, most of her business experience was in senior leadership positions with Marriott International.
An influencer in the business and HRCommunities, she is a frequent speaker to business groups and has bee n quoted in major publications including The Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, Forbes, The New York Times, The Globe & Mail, Fast Company, the Chicago Tribune, and Newsday.she’s been interviewed on radio in major markets around the US and contributed to numerous blogs and websites including fast company.com, Forbes.com, INC.com, Entrprepreneur.com, ChiefExecutive.net, and Trainingindustry.com.
Barbara is an active volunteer who has served on numerous national and local boards and is a video Docent at The Smithsonian American Art Museum.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Books By Barbara Mitchell
The Only HR Book You’ll Ever Need!
“Whether you’re a small business owner, a manager in a business without an HR department, or even a seasoned HR professional, this book will help you handle any personnel problem—from on-boarding to outplacement—quickly and easily.”—Solutions Review
For more than a decade, busy managers by the tens of thousands have turned to this best-selling book as a handy guide to the ins and outs of human resources. And no wonder! Because whether you're a small business owner, a manager in a business without an HR department, or even a seasoned HR professional, The Essential HR Handbook will help you handle any personnel problem--from onboarding to outplacement--quickly and easily. This fully updated 10th anniversary edition is packed with information, tools, checklists, sample forms, and timely tips to guide you through the maze of personnel issues in today's complex business environment.
In The Essential HR Handbook you'll find out how to:
- Attract talented staff through social media recruiting
- Identify legal pitfalls to avoid lawsuits and regulatory interference
- Train a diverse and inclusive multigenerational workforce
- Provide the compensation and benefits package that will make your organization an "employer of choice"
- Streamline your orientation and onboarding practices so new employees hit the ground running
Whenever personnel problems arise, having The Essential HR Handbook on your bookshelf is like having a team of expert HR consultants at your beck and call!
- What's changing in today's workplaces
- How to find the right solution for the right problem
- Their personal conflict style and how to work with it
- The importance of listening
- How to create options to solve conflicts
- What happens when disruptive behavior gets out of control
Rather than avoid these situations, The Conflict Resolution Phrase Book can help you prepare for and embrace them. Sometimes you just need a prompt to say the right thing, and that's what this book will do. Using it you'll learn:
- Positive things to say when initiating or responding to difficult conversations and situations
- How to find and craft language to start a sensitive conversation
- The right words to positively influence the situation
Every leader will agree that managing people is challenging and growing more complex. Since The Big Book of HR was first published, dramatic changes have taken place in the workplace and the workforce. This 10th anniversary edition incorporates discussions and reflections on these changes which are useful for any business owner, manager, or HR professional.
The Big Book of HR, 10th Anniversary Edition includes up-to-date information about:
- Flexibility and work
- Diversity, equity and inclusion
- Respectful workplaces and harassment prevention
- Technology for today's digital workplaces
- Pay equity and its effect on transparency in compensation
- Benefits that meet the needs of a multigenerational workforce
- Microlearning and employee development strategy
Told against the backdrop of a fictitious company by leaders from different business sectors, They Did What?:
• Portrays people issues that can arise in any workplace.
• Spotlights the world of HR leaders and how they keep things on an even keel.
• Is a glimpse behind the scenes into compelling and relatable workplace tales.
Congratulations, you're a manager! You've earned this role because you're an expert in your field. But what about everything else you need to know? Things like:
- Getting started with setting goals, managing projects and resources, and much more.
- Developing management skills you didn't know you needed.
- Building and managing your team from hiring, firing, and everything in between.
- Creating your personal brand by building credibility for yourself and your team.
- Managing up, down, and around the organization.
- Avoiding potential land mines of conflict, change, and risk.
- Navigating the potential legal pitfalls.