Top positive review
The best 3rd party pods I've tried
Reviewed in Canada on May 5, 2020
I have been giving all the 3rd party pods I come across that offer decent savings (so 60 cents/pod or less) a shot for couple years now, and these are second off brand I have found that are worth buying. So far for me there are only 3 types of pods worth buying: Nespresso (if you're feeling spendy and want flavour variety), President's Choice (if you just want consistency at a lower price), and these.
The best endorsement I can offer of these is that a week after the first order arrived, having tried the flavours, I'm placing another order to increase my stock pile.
- Value is #1, these are the lowest cost pods that make what I would call a legitimate espresso worth tasting.
- The physical build quality of the pods themselves is very good, no issues and so far no duds. At times the flow is slower than you would want to see, but if you let it run then at the end the resulting coffee is still good.
- All 6 flavours in this pack taste good to me, in fact if you stood them up against a lot of the Nespresso flavours, it's 50/50 whether you might prefer some of these in my opinion. "Better" is a matter of personal taste, but there is enough good flavour in these for it to be a competition. Most cheap 3rd party pods are mediocre or worse coffee.
- Having only the option to order variety packs is a serious issue for me. At some point it's going to feel silly ordering 100 pods that aren't my favourite in order to get 20 that are.
- I wish there was more variety between the 6 flavours, they're all very "safe" and sort of middle of the road profiles. I prefer stronger coffee and more distinct flavours that you get with single origin options. But to be reasonable, this is what you would expect for such well priced pods, the taste to cost ratio here is incredible.