Top critical review
Will fit 300x300mm VESA pattern with extensive modifications
Reviewed in Canada on June 17, 2020
This was a pretty good deal--when I bought it--for a wall mount for 32-to-80 inch TVs, and I expected the installation to be as smooth as it was in Christmas 2018, when I bought the smaller model for my wife's 40-inch TV and had it installed in an hour.
This, however, was a three-day long nightmare to install.
The wall bracket is only designed for studs measuring 16 inches centre-to-centre, fairly standard for every load-bearing wall I've ever worked on or built, including sheds. My house--built in 1984--has 24-inch stud spacing, so before I could even start the installation process I needed to go buy four 1/2-inch lag bolts, flat- and lock-washers, and an eight-foot 2x4 to cut into two 26-inch pieces and span my studs, giving me a usable surface to carry the bracket. This added $56 to the project price right there since I opted for cedar and used the remaining 44 inches to make 4 rungs up a tree trunk so my rugrats could climb it without breaking daddy's back. That was the first day, I wasted the rest supervising the kids while they trampled my flowers around said tree, but I digress.
The next day, I dry-fitted the bracket to the rear of my Sony Bravia 65 inch television with a 300x300mm VESA mount pattern; two of the holes lined up at the top, but the plate is not tall enough to make it to the others. No worries, I can use the extension arms to span the gap, right?
Nope. There's no provision for that VESA pattern with this wall mount, and Amazon didn't deign to mention that on the product page until after my original attempt to submit a review five days ago on 12 June 2020.
I spent the rest of the day reading the reviews and questions for this product, to see if anyone else had found a solution.
The following morning I made a plan and actioned it over a period of about two hours start to finish:
Using a speedsquare/rafting square, mark lines perpendicular to the horizontal edges of the plate and lined up with the second large holes in from the vertical edges--these are 300mm apart from each other laterally.
Align the extension arms with the inner threaded hole of the arm (the one toward the centre) on those plate holes and the other threaded holes (outermost ones) centred between the lines you marked. Use a nail/screw/centrepunch to mark the centre of where you need to drill a hole in the plate for the bolt that goes in that threaded hole.
Drill through the marks with a step-drill bit--or successively with 1/8-inch, 1/4-inch and 3/8-inch drill bits. Now you should have eight holes in the mounting plate which allow you to attach the four extension arms vertically--I marked them with green paint in one of the pictures.
After that, there's the issue with the rolled lips on the plate which prevent the extension arms from holding flush to the plate--marked in yellow paint in that same picture. Now see that grinder at the top right of the photo? It's a lot faster than a mill file, I tells ya. Get those lips disappeared where them yellow marks are.
Once that's out of the way, use the 8 machine bolts labelled "BE" to torque the extension arms to the mounting plate. Use hex head bolts instead if you want to do the job right.
Now you can use the "J" bolts--slightly longer than the ones that come installed in the back of a Sony TV--and "S" washers to affix the extension arms to the VESA mount on the back of your set. There was a minor issue with mine wherein the bottom arms extended past the depression in the plastic, pushing the wall mount's arms outward by an extra 1/8-inch. I put those bolts in first and snugged them by hand with the arms as far down as possible on them, then added the top bolts and hand-torqued them all until the extension arms began to warp; good enough, it'll hold the weight but not crack the plastic.
Finally came the fun part: lifting a TV that's half my weight--and with a diagonal only one inch shorter than me--to nose height and precision guiding it onto a hook the size and shape of a leather needle. I'd have asked the wife to help, but she injured her hand trying to stab-cut a bagel with a paring knife so I don't trust her touching a $1500 TV. Once I had it on and levelled side-to-side, I put in the two tiny hex bolts to secure it to the hook, adjusted the tilt for comfortable viewing, ran the cabling and mowed the lawn. Maybe I'll get a chance to watch it when I retire.