Top critical review
A refreshing new storyline from Ryu Ga Gotoku.
Reviewed in Canada on April 27, 2021
+ A brand new writing team, featuring a decent new story.
+ Kamurocho has never looked better, especially at night!
+ Good controls and fun fight mechanics.
+ Lots of varied content from side cases to mini-games.
+ Revised colour palette suits content better than the garish original.
+ New subtitling for Japanese dialogue, or English audio with dubtitles!
+ Cheaper retail price than the PS4 debut, including 4K/60fps & all DLC on disc.
- Over-familiarity to Yakuza wears out its welcome too quickly.
- Kamurocho shows its age with this new story: stuffy and constricted.
- Goofy side cases clash against the game's otherwise serious tone.
- Like Kiryu before him, Yagami has one dimension the whole game.
- Hard mode holds your hand WAY too much.
- Frequent framerate hiccups.
- No HDR?!
SUMMARY - Ryu Ga Gotoku's most accessible game to date. These two new writers are a welcome addition to breathe life into the studio, and Judgment is all the better for it. But if the devs are reading this, keep the tone consistent between the main story and the side cases. Also, animate Yagami's face to show some character next time! (Or is this the way the "actor" is in real life?)
Recommended to newcomers, but a VERY cautious recommendation to the tired Yakuza veterans.